ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT THROUGH DIGITAL LITERACY:
Oakland Digital (ODALC) educates, inspires, and empowers underserved communities to participate and succeed in the digital economy. We are an independent, volunteer-driven 501(c)(3) not-for-profit, public benefit organization with two goals.
1) Professional development for design students. Give students (predominantly ages 18-34) the motivation and career-related tools they need to find appropriate employment.
2) Fostering success of small businesses. Train local business owners (ages 49-65) with digital tools and Internet education to succeed in the 21st Century.
Oakland Digital’s work creates a better-informed, self reliant community that harnesses digital media and technology for economic success and professional vitality. We address the need for digital literacy through engaging, scalable and sustainable programs designed to expand beyond our organization into a social movement throughout the community.
With Oakland Digital’s facility located on the edge of Oakland Chinatown (at 12th and Harrison), we have helped transform downtown Oakland into an area that flourishes through technology, innovation and collaboration among diverse community members.
Founded in 2009, Oakland Digital strongly and actively strives to increase diversity and provide equal opportunity within its community. We have grown from a dedicated group of two to more than ten.
EDUCATE, INSPIRE, EMPOWER:
Oakland Digital is guided by a core set of values based on:
- Content creation and innovation
- Inclusiveness and collaboration
- Innovation and equity
- Knowledge sharing and learning
- Literacy and skill mastery
- Transparency and neutrality
Oakland Digital is certified for Alameda County’s Small, Local, Emerging Business (SLEB) Program, Certification No. 12-00022 [NAICS code(s): 541430, 541511, 541611, 611420 and 624310].